Details of FOLA Groups in New South Wales
Friends of Albury LibraryMuseum support the aims and activities of Albury City Libraries through:
- Involvement in events and fund-raising activities such as book sales
- Social activities
- Voluntary assistance with shelving & book processing, local history projects, exhibition attendants, delivering books to housebound readers
The committee meets on the last Wednesday of each month at the LibraryMuseum.
Friends of the Albury Library Museum
Cnr Kiewa and Swift Street, Albury,NSW 2640
Phone: Carole Whitbourn 02 6023 8342
Friends of Balmain Library (FOBL) has over 175 members and works to raise funds for improvements to the library. Activities include:
- Events with speakers talking on a wide variety of topics are held quarterly. Speakers are often drawn from the local Balmain pool of journalists and authors.
- An annual Children’s Writing Competition for students in years 5 and 6 in local schools.
- An Open Book Group is held monthly. The Group is open to all and books are selected by the participants.
- The Bookworm magazine (available on website) keeps members up to date with developments in the library.
- Discount at a local Book Shop.
Ballina Friends of the Library has about 40 members.
- Meeting Day - 1st Monday in the month, except in January. We usually have a book related speaker. If not, then anything which the President feels may be of interest to our membership.
- We run a twice yearly book sale for adults and a separate twice yearly sale for children's books, which brings in several thousand dollars. All proceeds go to buying books and periodicals for the libraries.
- Our Publicity Officer writes a monthly column for the local free paper, The Advocate, with news of library activities and our service to homebound readers.
Friends of Ballina Shire Libraries
PO Box 450
Ballina NSW, 2478
Phone: 02 6686 2831
Byron Bay Friends Of The Library - "For more than 15 years our dedicated and passionate FOL group in Byron Bay has been fighting hard with the community and the Council for a new library in Byron. And the good news is that we think this will happen in 2011! More information and news at our website. You will also find monthly meeting and contact details."
Friends of Great Lakes Library Service FOGLLS support their Library service in many ways.
- The most important activity for the Friends is to act as lobbyists for better library services
- Initiates functions that offer literary stimulation, entertainment, and education to the community. A varied program includes book launches, author talks, poetry readings, travellers’ tales, musical performances, and an annual trivia night.
- Funding for Great Lakes Bookstart program
- Bi- monthly newsletter
More details are shown on our web page which is independent from the library website.
Secretary and Coordinator
Phone: 02 6554 8507
Mobile: 0479 131 083
Friends Of The Library, Kingscliff, FOLK have a small membership who meet every 2nd Monday (except January), 4pm at Kingscliff Library.
- Manage Book Sale Table in Library.
- Organise twice-yearly Book Sales and Raffles
- Raise funds for Library equipment and 'extras' which Council do not provide.
- Arrange Book Launches and occasional talks and events, limited by the lack of a large Meeting Room or space.
- Lobby for Library improvements and issues.
- Assist Library staff as and when needed.
Kingscliff, NSW 2487
Phone: 6674 1607
Friends of Port Macquarie Library have been active since 1989 and currently have over 50 members, hold bi-monthly meetings and publish a regular newsletter Our activities include
- Bookstart Bags for babies and sponsorship of school reading awards
- Fund-raising “Souper” nights, literary lunches, author visits and writing workshops
- Stocking the Book Sales Trolley and conducting book sales
- We run a Book Group, Friends and Books (FAB), meeting monthly at the library
- Writing book reviews for the local press that are also published on the library website
Most importantly, we actively lobby to encourage and support the extension and improvement of library services in the Port Macquarie-Hastings District.
Karen Brown, President
Phone: 02 6582 6515
Friends of the State Library of NSW
Friends of the Sydney University Library
Friends of the Library Groups at Tallangatta, Tumbarumba: Mulwala Wodonga - Corowa
Friends of the Library provide an extended service to the Library, from organising fund raising activities to delivering books to those who are not able to get to the library.
Friends of Waverley Library (F.O.W.L)
FOWL members come from all walks of life. Some are new to the area and some have lived here for years... but they all share the same passion for Waverley Library, literature and serving the community.
Friends of the Library Wingecarribee Libraries (FOWL)
The Woollahra Library Friends was established in 2000 to promote the library service, to provide its members with stimulating book related events to enjoy with other book lovers and to provide a community forum to discuss Library related issues. Members enjoy:
- Discounted tickets to talks in the Writers and Readers series
- Free social events for members and a friend
- Advance notice of all events at the Library, and
- The satisfaction of supporting your Library
536 New South Head Road
Double Bay NSW 2028
Phone: 02 9391 7100
The Friends of the Wollongong City Library committee meets once a month
- We aim to organise a talk by an author approximately once every six weeks
- We vary the timing of our functions to include lunches, early evening talks with wine and cheese, and occasionally a morning or afternoon tea,
President Helen Woodward
Treasurer Carolyn Githens
Phone: (02) 4229 2247