Nominate your library for one of the FOLA AWARDS for 2012
There are three awards available for nomination:
- Eric Flynn Award for library services for older adults
- Peter McInnes for library services for children and young people
- Colin Watson Award for library advocacy
View and download the FOLA Awards 2012 Application Form.
Remember, the application must be submitted by 8th March 2013.
Peter McInnes Award for Library Services for Children and Young People
Friends of Libraries Australia (FOLA) invites nominations for this FOLA award, which recognizes the outstanding contribution of its immediate Past President Peter McInnes to FOLA, and to the Friends of the Baillieu Library, University of Melbourne.
As part of FOLA's vision of Better, more accessible, libraries for all in Australia, the award aims to encourage public libraries and local government in Australia in the development of services, programs and resources for the new generations, and to recognise innovation and excellence in their achievement.
Eric Flynn Memorial Award for Library Services to Older Adults
The Eric Flynn Memorial Award is an award that recognises and encourages excellence and innovation in Australian library services to older adults.
The Eric Flynn Memorial Award was awarded to Friends of Murray Bridge Library (SA)
Oral history project initiated and led by the Friends of a small rural library, contained a number of attractive aspects:
- Well publicized, recognized that volunteers would need training to improve their skills and confidence as interviewers, and later in using new technologies, and addressed these needs.
- Program coordinator provided by the Friends
- Elderly residents were interviewed where they were comfortable, ie. At home or in the library.
- Used resources of the State Library network to supplement local resources, eg. Technical and human.
- Outcomes published in CD and print form.
- Thoughtful evaluation both quantitive and qualitative.
FOLA Library Week Award
This award is designed to encourage participation in the annual Australian Library & Information Week, initiated in 1967.
FOLA awards the winning entry a cash prize of $250 and certificate.
- Applicant groups must be current financial members of FOLA.
- Entry should be set out on one typed page, describing the group's participation, either independently or in conjunction with the library service the promotional activity or project undertaken during Australian Library & Information Week.
- Supporting materials (press releases, press clippings, promotional materials, etc) may be included as relevant.
- No material will be returned. Supporting materials may be used in FOLA exhibits and publications.
For further information on these Awards contact FOLA for an application form.
2010 Eric Flynn Memorial Award for Library Services to Older Adults
The Eric Flynn Memorial Award was awarded to Friends of Murray Bridge Library (SA) in 2010
2010 FOLA Colin Watson Award for Advocacy
The 2010 FOLA Colin Watson Award for Advocacy was awarded to Friends of Byron Bay Library, Richmond-Tweed Regional Library (NSW)
The entry provided an outstanding model of how a small, determined community group won a battle against a large regional bureaucracy.
In July 2010 Council called for tenders for construction of a new library building, estimated at $5.6million.
Friends action for a new library commenced in 1994. Support and questions even came from author Di Morrissey and ABC presenter, Kerry O’Brien.