Fact Sheet #3
FOLA & Friends Moving into the Community
- Friends of Library groups have become visible players in the life of the community to have equal footing with other, perhaps, more socially involved groups.
- Make an inventory of notable organisations and associations in the community. Create a partnership of interest.
- Members of your group should participate in other. community organisations and be aware of the necessity of being ambassadors for the library.
- City or municipal celebrations should list the library as one of their sponsors.
- The Friends should set up a correspondence committee to write a periodic column in local newspapers and other local publications. Letters to the editor are important.
- Nurture media contacts to receive notices ahead of time when there is a special Friends' activity. Don't abuse this, as space is limited.
- Local elected officials should be on the Friends regular mailing list. They should receive invitations to library events. They should be invited to become members.
- Take advantage of any opportunity or venue to bring up the library.
- The Friends should provide a Speaker's List, with information from the library.
- Conduct regular meetings with the Library Manager.
- Join Friends of Libraries Australia (FOLA) and learn about other groups. Write to FOLA, Locked Bag 1315, Tullamarine Victoria 3043.